Thursday 5 June 2014

1 Month Heathy Eating Update and Healthy Cookie Recipe

So it's been over a month since I changed my diet and to be honest it seems like so much longer. I'm a lot more used to it now but still crave a lot of bad things, especially as we have lots of other food in my house for the rest of our family. I have had quite a few things that I shouldn't but I don't think I've done too badly overall. I'm still working out the sorts of things that I like to eat and still trying to find alternatives. 

The thing I've been struggling most with is sweet cravings and although I'm used to eating salads and plain veg for dinner now, I still crave something sweet for afterwards. I then came across a recipe online for some "healthy" cookies so decided to give them ago. The idea is that you replace the bad stuff with not so bad stuff and it's all about finding a more natural alternative to things that aren't so great for you. 

Instead of using normal flour, these cookies use almond flour/ground almonds which is great for those that have to avoid wheat. I was able to find ground almonds in my local tesco and they are actually used for baking macaroons which I did not know! 

Instead of using butter, I used coconut oil which is super good for you and has no trans fats or e-numbers - yay! 

Instead of using sugar, these cookies use maple syrup which is a lot better for you and more natural. Again, this was pretty easy to find. One of my main concerns about "healthy" baking was that a lot of recipes contain ingredients that are really hard to get hold of, but this reviews doesn't which is amazing! 

Here is the full list of ingredients: 
250g almond flour/ground almonds 
5 tablespoons coconut oil - melted 
4 tablespoons maple syrup
4 teaspoons vanilla extract 
2 tablespoons almond milk (I used goats milk though) 
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips 

Preheat your oven to 180C. 

Firstly, you mix all the wet ingredients into a bowl. 

Then all the dry ingredients into a separate bowl and combine them together slowly and add the chocolate chips.

 Line your baking try with grease proof paper and spoon out your mixture so that each cookie is about one tablespoon of mixture. 

Bake for 18-20 minutes. 



2 comments:

  1. These sound great. may have to give them a go as Im trying to be healthier
    Beth x
    mermaidindisguise.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are so good, especially considering that they are better for you, im going to make some more this week but use raisins instead of chocolate chips :) xxxx

      Delete